Skip to Content

Flood Resources

Flood Resources

*Updated November 1, 2023

We’re heartbroken to see the devastating floods affecting so many of our Vermont communities right now. We want all Vermonters to have the information they need to stay safe.

As we roll up our sleeves and start the hard work of rebuilding together, I will continue to elevate the priorities that Vermonters sent me to Washington to work on, including: 

  • Busting stigma and improving mental health supports to help people navigate crises like this one, 
  • Focusing on Vermont’s housing crisis, knowing that our low vacancy rates will create incredible challenges to sheltering displaced people, especially renters; and 
  • Tackling climate change which is making extreme weather events more common in our state, nation and world – and making their impact more dire. 

I’ll continue to coordinate on all this work with Senator Sanders and Senator Welch. My office is here to help you navigate federal government agencies in the weeks, months, and years ahead. You can follow me on social media @RepBeccaB for continued updates and resources. Or you can reach my office by calling 802-652-2450 or filling out this form

We hope the following information is helpful: 

State of Vermont Flood Resources

An excellent collection of resources from Vermont state government and beyond can be found at



موارد فيضانات فيرمونت والمساعدات والإحالات



ဗားမောင့်ပြည်နယ် ရေကြီးမှုဆိုင်ရာ ရင်းမြစ်များ၊ ထောက်ပံ့မှုနှင့် လွှဲပြောင်းမှုများ



ﻣﻧﺎﺑﻊ، ﻣﺳﺎﻋدت و ارﺟﺎعھﺎی ﺳﯾل ورﻣوﻧت



Ressources, assistance et références en matière d’inondations dans le Vermont



د ورﻣوﻧټ ﺳٻﻼﺑﻲ ﺳرچﯾﻧې، ﻣرﺳﺗﮫ او ﻣراﺟﻌې



Recursos, asistencia y referencias sobre inundaciones en Vermont



Uburyo, imfashanyo hamwe n’ugufashanya mu gihe c’umwuzure i Vermont



भर्मन्टमा बाढी स्रोतहरू, मद्दत र सिफारिसहरू



Khayradka, Caawimaada iyo Tixraacyada

For information on shelters, resources, and to report storm damage, call 2-1-1

Use 5-1-1 to stay up to date on road conditions.  Follow road closure signs and stay out of the water.

For up-to-date water boil advisories, find them here.

If you are able, sign up to volunteer at

FEMA Individual Assistance

The Individual Assistance program allows homeowners, renters, and other individuals impacted by the disaster to seek reimbursement for necessary expenses and serious needs that cannot be met through insurance or other forms of assistance. The declaration currently includes those living in Caledonia, Chittenden, Lamoille, Orange, Orleans, Rutland, Washington, Windham and Windsor counties. 

·      1-800-621 3362 


·      By downloading the FEMA App

Residents whose address is not currently in a designated county may still apply for assistance, but only by calling the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362. This will let them proceed if their county is added to the active declaration, and helps FEMA accurately assess the needs. Individuals in these counties should also please report damage to 2-1-1.The deadline to apply for FEMA assistance is October 31, 2023.

FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers (DRCs) are accessible facilities and mobile offices you can visit to learn more about FEMA and other disaster assistance programs. You may also visit to ask questions about your case. They are open 8am- 6pm from Monday-Friday.

  • Barre: Alumni Hall Building, 3rd Flood, 16 Auditorium Hill, Barre, VT 05641.- Closing permanently at 6pm on November 9. 

For a step-by-step guide on the application process go to:

If you are returning to a flooded building, these resources from FEMA are helpful on how to begin your clean up, take proper safety measures before re-entering your home, and properly document the damage before cleaning up: 

Beware of Fraud and Scams

·      Survivors should be aware that fraud and scams can occur anytime. FEMA encourages survivors to be alert and report any suspicious activity or potential fraud by scam artists, identity thieves and other criminals. Anyone who suspects fraud or scams should call the FEMA Disaster Fraud Hotline at 866-720-5721, TTY call 711. The tollfree number is open 24 hours a day.

·      Common tactics used by scam artists include phone calls from people claiming to work for FEMA. The caller may ask for the survivor’s Social Security number, income or banking information. Survivors should never trust someone claiming to be a disaster assistance employee asking for money. FEMA does not endorse any commercial business, product or service, and local and federal disaster assistance workers do not solicit or accept money.

Understanding Your FEMA Letter

·      Vermont residents who applied for assistance from FEMA for the July severe storms, flooding, landslides and mudslides will receive a determination letter from FEMA. It may say you are ineligible for assistance, but that may not be a permanent denial. It may instead be a request for additional information or documentation.

·      It is important to read the letter carefully because it will include the amount of assistance FEMA may provide and information on the appropriate use of disaster assistance funds. The letter will also explain your application status and advise what if any additional documentation/information is needed or what you need to do to appeal an unfavorable decision.

·      Often, you need only send more information or supporting documentation for FEMA to continue reviewing your application for financial assistance.

·      If you have questions about your letter, call FEMA’s helpline at 800-621-3362 between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. ET daily.

·      If you disagree with FEMA’s decision, or the amount of assistance provided, you can submit an appeal letter and documents supporting your claim, such as a contractor’s estimate for home repairs. You have 60 days from the date of your FEMA determination letter to appeal the decision.

·      If you need assistance navigating the process, please reach out to our office. Our Vermont staff is here to help you interface with federal agencies. 

Business Resources

The Small Business Administration (SBA) offers disaster assistance in the form of low interest loans to businesses, nonprofit organizations, homeowners, and renters located in regions affected by declared disasters. SBA also provides eligible small businesses and nonprofit organizations with working capital to help overcome the economic injury of a declared disaster. Applicants can apply online here: or at a Business Recovery or Disaster Recovery Center near them.

The SBA Vermont District Office encourages small businesses to download a copy of the Vermont Small Business Development Center’s Disaster Recovery Guide for Business. 

There are business recovery centers open six days a week. The centers will assist homeowners, renters, and business and non-profit owners in filling out a disaster loan application, accept documents for existing applications, and provide updates on an application’s status. They are open Monday to Friday from 8am-5pm and Saturdays from 10am-2pm. 

§  Washington County: VT Chamber of Commerce (751 Granger Rd, Berlin)

§  Windsor County: Engel & Volkers Okemo Building (126 Main St. Ludlow)

§  Lamoille County: The Lamoille County Agriculture Building (29 Sunset Drive, Morrisville, VT 05661)

Local and state groups are working to provide additional resources for Vermont small businesses including: 

Local and state groups are working to provide additional resources for Vermont small businesses including the Vermont Main Street Flood Recovery Program, now accepting applications, and a $20 million dollar fund that will be available through the Agency of Commerce and Community Development.

Unemployment Insurance 

·      Unemployment: If you’ve lost your job due to the disaster – including because you no longer have a job or a place to work; cannot reach the place of work; cannot work due to damage to the place of work; or cannot work because of an injury caused by the disaster – you may be eligible for unemployment insurance benefits. Online filing opened Wednesday, July 19 at or call the Unemployment Insurance Claimant Assistance Center at 877-214-3330.

·      Disaster Unemployment Assistance: If you are not traditionally eligible for unemployment insurance benefits and your employment was impacted because of the disaster, you may be eligible for Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA). Individuals can sign up to receive DUA updates at

Farm Resources

If you have sustained damage to your farm there are a number of ways to receive assistance including:

·      Farm Service Agency – It is important for all damage to farms to be reported to your local Farm Service Agency office:  or call 802-6582803

·      VT Agency of Agriculture Farm Related Assistance: For more information visit or email or call 802-828-5667.

·      Farmer Emergency Fund: For more information visit or call 802-434-4122.

·      Emergency Loans: For more information visit or call 802-560-3099.

o   Qualifying applicants must be Vermont farmers or food producers who have suffered a devastating loss due to an unexpected natural disaster that puts their farm or farming career in danger and covers buildings; animals; equipment; greenhouses; and hay fields.

·      USDA Disaster Assistance: visit or by calling (855) 794-3676. USDA covers damage to livestock; farmland; financial damage; and crop losses.

·      The Association of Africans Living in Vermont can help new Vermonters with flood and farm recovery: Association of Africans Living In Vermont[NJ1] 

Health Insurance Options for Vermonters Affected by Flooding

  • The Department of Vermont Health Access (DVHA), which administers Vermont Medicaid and Vermont Health Connect, is offering a special enrollment period for Vermonters affected by the natural disaster and in need of health insurance coverage. Signing up for a qualified health plan is usually limited to an annual open enrollment period. However, any Vermonter who lets DVHA know that they were affected by the flood can sign up.
  • DVHA has also extended Medicaid for Vermonters affected by flooding. Benefits for Vermonters whose renewal deadline was in July and who didn’t respond to redetermination notices will automatically be extended into August. Vermonters affected by flooding who did respond to their renewal and no longer have any health care coverage with the State can ask for one more month of benefits. To request an extension, call 855-899-9600 by Friday, August 11.
  • Finally, any Vermonter enrolled in Medicaid who has been impacted by flooding should call if they have questions about their health coverage and renewal schedule. DVHA can process these renewals on the phone to ensure benefits continue.
  • IRS Tax Relief

    Victims of flooding in Vermont that began on July 7, 2023, now have until Nov. 15, 2023, to file various individual and business tax returns and make tax payments, the Internal Revenue Service announced. Following the disaster declaration issued by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, individuals and households affected by flooding that reside or have a business anywhere in Vermont qualify for tax relief:

    Mental Health Resources

    Disaster Distress Help Line:

    ·      Call 1-800-985-5990.

    ·      Visit

    9-8-8 National Mental Health crisis line

    ·      Call 9-8-8

    Below are useful informational videos regarding flooding in 16 different languages:




    English ( Closed Captions).



    Maay Maay.